NEW AND IMPROVED

This blog is now sugar FREE, fat FREE, gluten FREE, all ORGANIC and all NATURAL!!

Friday, October 24, 2014

PROUD PAPA


PROUD PAPA

I’m watching a pro-football game and there is a fumble and a big pileup of players fighting to recover the ball.  It reminds me of a game way back to my eighth grade football team.

What goes on in one of those fumble recovery scrambles?  In an eighth grade junior high game blankety blank years ago, I was playing defensive back.  The runner on the other team fumbled and along with about nine other players he leaped upon the loose pigskin.  I watched from just outside the pile-on as the ref slowly eliminated players from the pile in an attempt to determine who had rightfully recovered the ball.

As players were stripped from the pile, I got on my knees, wriggled into the pile reached in and managed to get both hands on the ball which was being securely held by the original runner.  As players were pulled from the pile I was able to slowly inch my hands further onto the ball and ultimately pull it away.

When all the players in the pile were finally pulled away, a young Cranky was firmly in control of the ball and credited despite the protestations of the other team with recovering the fumble.

When my son, Matt, was playing Pop Warner football at age ten, I told him the story of my thievery.

On game three of his season the opposing team fumbled the ball and a huge pileup  ensued.  I watched as Matt snuck his way up to the pile, stealthily got to his knees and slowly inched his way in while the ref was pulling players away.  After several minutes he managed to squirm his way to the middle, grab the ball and wrench it away from the rightful holder.  When all players were pulled off, Matt stood up with the ball and was credited with the recovery.

I was so proud to think “That’s my boy!”

14 comments:

  1. The limb doesn't fall very far from the tree. Great story.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, it appears to be a tradition forming, just waiting for the next generation to recover a fumble ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very unsportsmanlike & VERY funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like father, like son
    The apple falling from the tree, etc. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll bet Matt could not wait for the safe-cracking years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, or pigskin in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And candy taken from a baby tastes all the sweeter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried to read this blog post, but all that came out were the sounds of when adults speak on Charlie Brown cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet, a legacy of thievery!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always wondered what happened in cases like this; thanks for filling in the "rest of your and your son's story" on whose team the ball ended up being rewarded too :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's sneaky, but much better than getting crushed in the pile-up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't understand how football players come out of every game with all of their body parts intact! When I was younger I never really thought about it, but if I'd had a son who played football, I would have needed a Valium to get through watching all that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. And the beat goes on. Guess the pros's would try it except for all those camera angles.

    ReplyDelete